Castel Sant'Angelo | Opening Hours, Best Time to Visit, Duration & More
Located only 140 meters from St Peter’s Basilica, Castel Sant’Angelo is a mausoleum-turned-museum that has existed since the 2nd century. The Castel stands as an example of the glorious Roman architectural style, as well as the rich history that the city boasts of. Find out everything you need to know about Castel Sant’Angelo’s opening times, the best time to visit, and directions on how to get there, which will make your plan for visiting the palace a cakewalk.
Castel Sant’Angelo Opening Hours
Monday to Sunday: 9 AM to 7.30 PM
The ticket office closes at 6.30 PM
Closed on January 1st, May 1st, and December 25th.
- What are the Castel Sant'Angelo opening times?
Castel Sant'Angelo is open daily from 9 AM to 7.30 PM.
- How long should I spend at Castel Sant'Angelo?
The Castel Sant'Angelo tour would take 1-2 hours.
- What is the best time to visit Castel Sant'Angelo?
Visit Castel Sant’Angelo is from September to March to enjoy the cool weather. Evenings tend to draw lesser crowds. To enjoy the sunset from the terrace, plan your visit to Castel Sant'Angelo 1-2 hours prior to the sunset hour.
Castel Sant’Angelo Restaurant Opening Hours
Grab a meal at the rooftop restaurant and enjoy a breathtaking view of the dome of St. Peter and the River Tiber. Check out the Castel Sant’Angelo opening hours for the restaurant before visiting the attraction.
Le Terrazze Restaurant
The family-run rooftop restaurant offers a wide range of Italian dishes, sandwiches, coffee, Italian wine, and beers to choose from. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Opening times: 9 AM - 7.30 PM
Castel Sant’Angelo Bookshop Opening Hours
Find books about the history of the mausoleum, and of Rome at the museum bookshop. Learn about the Castel Sant’Angelo opening hours for the bookshop before visiting the attraction.
Opening time: Tuesday to Sunday, 9 AM - 7 PM
(The bookshop service is temporarily suspended)
Getting to Castel Sant'Angelo
- Take buses 23, 280, 62, 64, or 982.
- The closest bus stop is Piazza Pia. Castel Sant’Angelo is a 5-minute walk from here.
- Train lines FL3 and FL5 stop near Castel Sant’Angelo.
- Roma San Pietro is the closest station, which is 22 minutes away.
By Light Rail
- Get on train #19 to get to Castel Sant'Angelo.
- The closest station is Risorgimento/S. Pietro, which is a 12-minute walk away.
- Metro line A stops near Castel Sant’Angelo.
- The closest metro station to Castel Sant’Angelo is Lepanto, which is a 17-minute walk away.
For more information about getting to Castel Sant'Angelo, click here.
All Your Questions Answered About Castel Sant’Angelo Opening Times
A. Castel Sant’Angelo is open to the public every day at 9 AM and closes at 7.30 PM.
A. It would take approximately 1-2 hours to fully cover Castel Sant’Angelo.
A. Castel Sant’Angelo’s Le Terrazze Restaurant is open from 9 AM to 7.30 PM.
A. The most ideal time for visiting Castel Sant’Angelo is during the evenings, as it will be less crowded. To catch the sunset from the terrace, start your trip about two hours ahead of the sunset time.
A. The bus is the easiest way to get to Castel Sant’Angelo.